The nervous system is probably the most mysterious and complicated system in our body. Yet without it, none of the other systems could function optimally. The nervous system plays a role in nearly every aspect of our health.
Brain growth and development
Sensations (such as touch or hearing)
Perception (the mental process of interpreting sensory information)
Thought and emotions
Learning and memory
Movement, balance, and coordination
Healing and rehabilitation
Stress and the body’s responses to stress
Breathing and heartbeat
Hunger, thirst, and digestion
Puberty, reproductive health, and fertility
Studying and understanding the nervous system is important because it affects so many areas of human health and well-being.
Watch the video and note the answers to the questions.
1. What are the two major parts of the nervous system?
2. What do the central and the peripheral nervous system do?
3. How is the motor division of the peripheral nervous system further divided?
4. What does the sensory division of the peripheral nervous system do?
5. What does the nervous tissue contain?
6. What types of sensory neurons are there and what does each of them react to?
7. How do neurons transmit messages?
8. What types of synapses are there? What is the difference between them?
9. What are the two kinds of neurotransmitters? What is the difference between them?
10. What are the main neurotransmitters?